How Does THC-Free CBD Work as a Sleep Aid?
A good night's sleep is essential for many reasons — it replenishes energy for the next day, helps grow and repair muscle and tissue, contributes to memory formation, and prevents respiratory infections. To maintain a healthy mind and body, experts recommend 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night for adults.
Unfortunately, difficulty falling or staying asleep is an issue many people face. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as many as 70 million people in the United States suffer from chronic sleep problems. Furthermore, 70 percent of American adults report getting insufficient sleep at least one night per month, while 11 percent claim to be sleeping inadequately every single night.
Although supplements, pills, sleep coaches, and high-tech gadgets may help lull you to sleep, researchers have recently considered using cannabidiol (CBD) as a sleep aid.
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol is a non-addicting, non-intoxicating compound found in the hemp plant. Full and conditional CBD legalization in the United States has allowed CBD to tap into different demographics in recent years, primarily due to its therapeutic benefits. For one, a growing body of research suggests that it may be an effective sleep aid.
Benefits of CBD for Sleep-Related Problems
CBD products may benefit those who have difficulty sleeping by addressing the following:
1. Managing insomnia and easing anxiety
Insomnia is an overactive stress reaction preventing individuals from falling, staying, or getting a good night's rest. To many's delight, CBD may help manage insomnia. For instance, high anxiety levels associated with sleep disorders can take a toll on the mind, whispering troubling matters while you're trying to enter dreamland. Overwhelming anxiety is a common cause of insomnia among adults. Therefore, reducing anxiety may help promote better sleep at night.
In 2019, a group of researchers explored whether CBD could improve sleep, anxiety, or both. They examined the charts of 72 adults who had struggled with anxiety or sleeping problems. At the end of the trial, the researchers found that following CBD treatment, about 57 participants (79%) had lower anxiety levels. Meanwhile, 48 of them (67%) had improved sleep patterns within a month of CBD intake.
Shannon et al. concluded that CBD benefits individuals with anxiety disorders and sleep problems, and that most people tolerate cannabidiol well without experiencing side effects.
CBD may also have sedative effects that promote sleep. Although CBD is not psychoactive like THC, it may still interact with the body in ways that induce relaxation. Even the Sleep Foundation acknowledges that while low doses of CBD can stimulate alertness, high doses can have an opposite, sedating effect.
2. Alleviates chronic pain
Cannabidiol may help with chronic pain that disrupts sleep through a few different mechanisms. For example, as some of you may already know, CBD has powerful anti-inflammatory and pain management properties. Recurrent pain from autoimmune diseases such as arthritis can lead to increased levels of inflammation and pain, which can make it difficult to fall or stay asleep. By reducing inflammation, CBD may help soothe pain and improve overall sleep quality.
Get more information on how CBD helps with pain management here.
3. Soothes airway inflammation
CBD is an emerging pharmaceutical agent for relieving chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which can inhibit sleep by causing shortness of breath and coughing fits throughout the night. In a 2021 study, the researchers demonstrated evidence that 0.00 THC Free CBD isolate exhibits anti-inflammatory activity. Their observations revealed that non-psychoactive cannabinoids might have beneficial effects in treating diseases characterized by airway inflammation, which include COPD.
While some evidence supports the benefits of CBD for COPD, more research is necessary to comprehend its true potential and effects. If you have this condition, consult your doctor before using CBD products or taking matters into your own hands. Untreated chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is fatal, contributing to 3.23 million deaths worldwide.
How to Use CBD as a Sleep Aid
If you're interested in trying our 0.00 THC Free water soluble CBD drops to address the above and improve your sleep patterns, here are some general guidelines for taking CBD for sleep:
- Determine the appropriate dosage: The proper water-soluble CBD dosage for sleep can vary depending on factors such as age, additional ailments, the severity of your insomnia and anxiety, and your individual response to CBD. According to researchers, higher doses (or anywhere between 25 mg to 1,500 mg) are typically more effective for managing insomnia and promoting sleep. However, beginners should start with a low dose and adjust as necessary to find the results you are looking for.
- Use the dropper to measure your dose: Use the dropper accompanying our CBD bottles to ingest the appropriate or correct dose. Place 2 to 4 drops under your tongue and hold for 15-30 seconds before swallowing. This intake method allows the product to be absorbed into the bloodstream as quickly as possible. You also have the option to add our drops to your preferred beverage (warm milk, for example), although we recommend taking them sublingually for faster absorption.
- Get the timing right: CBD works with your own internal time-clock. So CBD drops will not make you tired in the morning and awake at night. Consistency is everything, and by taking the drops 2x daily you will experience the greatest results.
- Store your CBD drops properly: Our CBD water soluble drops have a long shelf life. Still, we encourage storing them in a cool, dry place away from direct sun exposure or heat to ensure they remain effective and safe to use.
Should You Use CBD for Sleep?
Are you struggling with insomnia, anxiety, COPD, or chronic pain? Look no further than CBD isolate, an excellent plant-based alternative to conventional treatments for anxiety, inflammation, and more. CBD comes in many forms, including Urbal Activ mints, water soluble drops, and topical balms and lotions. Explore your options today and experience CBD's potential as a powerful sleep aid.
A word of caution from the Urbal Activ team: If you're considering CBD as a sleep aid, remember to consult your doctor beforehand, especially if you have a health condition requiring you to take medications. Our team cares about you and your well-being, so take all the necessary precautions to ensure your safety.